Van: Alex Lee<mailto:alexlee198...@gmail.com>
Verzonden: donderdag 13 april 2017 19:19
Aan: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK<mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Onderwerp: [ccp4bb] Refmac5 twin refinement pushing Rfree surprisingly down

Dear All,

I have a protein/dna complex crystal and data collected at 3A and another set
at 2.8A, space group P32. L test shows twinning (fraction around 0.11). The
structure solved by MR and model building of the complex finish (no solvent
built yet, I do not think it's good to build solvent in such low resolution
data).

I did Refmac5 to refine my structure (restraint refinement) with or without
twinning, to my surprise, the Rfree drops a lot after twin refinement of two
data sets.  Summary below:

2.8A dataset: before twin refine 34%, 29%; after twin refine:24%, 19%
3A dataset: before twin refine 30%;26%; after refine 25%, 18%

I know that a lot of threads in CCP4bb talking about Rfree after twin refine
and Rfree without twin refine can not compare directly. By drop R free this
much by twin refine, it gives me a feeling of too good to be true (at such low
resolution with such good Rfree, maybe overrefined a lot?), but from the
density map after twin refine, it does seem better than no twin refine map.

I do not know if reviewers are going to challenge this part.

Any input is appreciated.