Hi Annette,

I do not have any experience with the particular set up you are using, but just
from general considerations, how about:

  1.  If you have control over humidity in the room, reduce it as much as you
can during "icy" data collections
  2.  In another e-mail you mentioned you use copper pins. Try the steel ones
which are thinner and thus will lead to less turbulence in the nitrogen flow.
  3.  Observe which side of the gas flow suffers from turbulence, and misalign
the the cryo nozzle slightly such that the turbulence will be avoided, or at
least reduced.
  4.  Increase the flow rate of the the nitrogen gas.
  5.  bring the nozzle as close to the sample as you can, while making sure
that it does not shadow the diffraction image and does not lead to any possible
collisions.
  6.  I wonder what will happen if you start data collection in those tricky
orientations. Is it possible that you will have enough time to collect and get
out of that configuration before too much ice builds up?
  7.  Does ice grow in the sample or on the pin, subsequently obstructing the
sample? If the latter, can you pause data collection from time to time and
remove the ice growth?

Good luck!

Nukri

Ruslan Sanishvili (Nukri), Ph.D.