Hi Liuqing,
I agree with what Pascal has already written and can add something from my
experience.

In one case I needed to purify a protein using gelfiltration to control the
exact composition of the buffer before preparing for the ion exchange.

The protein was only stable in high salt buffers. Decreasing salt
concentration (essential to binding to ion exchange) was only possible by
rapid dilution of the protein in high-salt buffer 1:10 with low-salt buffer
immediately prior to loading.

Briefly, each 1 ml fraction from gelfiltration was diluted to 10 ml and
immediately injected on ion-exchange resin. It was a tedious protocol,
consisting in 3-4 hours preparation/load phase to get 30-ish fractions
injected one by one in 10 ml steps. Any other attempt (dialysis, bulk
dilution of all fraction and injection via superloop, etc...) resulted in
the protein crashing out of solution.

Inverting gelfiltration and Ion exchange would have meant a further
dialysis or desalting step to set a defined buffer composition as the
affinity column elution was performed over a linear gradient and the ionic
strength of the pooled peak was prep dependent.

The lengthy purification was shrunk by one day using this sequence of
columns and the reproducible protocol gave consistently well-diffracting
crystals.

Hope this helps.

Ciao,

Marco