Hello,

I got crystals of protein-nucleic acid complex, rod-shape, reproducible,
don’t visibly get damaged upon freezing; however they gave diffraction only
to about 12 A. I tried several crystals. My question is whether such
crystals worth optimization. Clearly a 4A diffracting crystal could
potentially be optimized to 3 – 2.5A, but if the diffraction that I am
getting now is 12A it could suggest that the system is so flexible that
getting to 3A with this crystal form is not possible at all. I just wonder
if there is any statistics or a rule of thumb about what initial
diffraction worth optimization?

Thank you!

-Natalia