From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on behalf of Natalia O
<natalie.c...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, March 2, 2018 at 7:35 PM
To: "CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK" <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: [ccp4bb] does 12 A diffraction worth optimization

Hello,

I got crystals of protein-nucleic acid complex, rod-shape, reproducible, don’t
visibly get damaged upon freezing; however they gave diffraction only to about
12 A. I tried several crystals. My question is whether such crystals worth
optimization. Clearly a 4A diffracting crystal could potentially be optimized
to 3 – 2.5A, but if the diffraction that I am getting now is 12A it could
suggest that the system is so flexible that getting to 3A with this crystal
form is not possible at all. I just wonder if there is any statistics or a rule
of thumb about what initial diffraction worth optimization?

Thank you!
-Natalia