Iodine is ideally suited for Cu K-alpha SAD phasing, and iodide ions can normally be easily added by soaking crystals in potassium iodide containing solutions, which can be done at the time of cryopreservation. A quick lit search will turn up the appropriate protocols. For structural genomics work where MR was unsuccessful or unusable, iodide soaks were found to work as much as 80% of the time.

I've used iodide-soaked lysozyme for an XRD teaching lab and undergraduate research student training, and SAD phasing works really well on an overnight data collection on our Oxford Diffraction PX-ultra system. It's worth a shot, and very easy to do. Many proteins will tolerate soaking, especially if crystallized from salts.
_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor Emeritus
Department of Chemistry
Colgate University
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, NY 13346