It's important to remember that free-R reflections are not only used to
calculate Rfree, but also are used in calculation of m and D scales in
2mFo-DFc and mFo-DFc maps, as well as in likelihood-based refinement
targets. The fact is that you need to have a sufficient amount of free-R
reflections in each relatively thin resolution bin. Some authors estimate
this number as at lest 50 reflections per bin. In Phenix binning is defined
such that each sufficiently thin bin gets no less than 150 reflections.
Bernhard pointed out about "precision or significance of Rfee". Also, I
would add that too few free-R reflections can affect refinement progress
(not only robustness of Rfree value) (I've done relevant tests to convince
myself more than a decade ago)! Thus I favor having 10% just to be on a
safer side.

Pavel