Hi Thomas

One problem with conventional approaches is that you tend to get high
mosaicity when harvesting from drops with isopropanol.

A very good method, invented by my old friend Lesley Haire, that has always
worked (so far!) is to use microbatch-under-oil with a plate called the
Vapor Batch plate.

   - Set up the drops with everything in them except for the isopropanol.

   - Cover the drops with 50:50 paraffin and silicone oil ("Al's Oil").

   - Put a few mL of 27% isopropanol in the "moat" around the outside of
   the plate.

The isopropanol will saturate the oil and then diffuse into the drops.  You
can take your time and harvest the crystals through the oil. The oil
protects the crystals, preventing evaporation of isopropanol.

Let me know if you (or anyone) would like some sample plates to try this
out.

See example and ref. below.

Best wishes, Patrick

Example: https://www.douglas.co.uk/winner1.htm

*G. B. Mortuza et al.. High-resolution structure of a retroviral capsid
hexameric amino-terminal domain.  Nature 431 (2004), pp 481-485. (This
paper describes the use of the vapor batch plate with isopropanol.)*

Sent from mobile

Patrick Shaw Stewart
+44 7901 548 201