Hi Michael:

It always makes me happy to see that there are people who care about this.

3.3 to 3.4 Å should be an ideal distance for this, and, as you note, the lone
pair
residing on the (sp^3-hybridized) nitrogen would have to be oriented for
favorable overlap, which is a bit harder to deduce from your figure.

The other rotomer would place oxygen at that position. Because it is
double-bonded
to the gamma carbon, the lone pairs are oriented differently, and the pi-bond
would
be approximately parallel to the plane containing the tryptophan, which would
give
a nice pi-stacking interaction similar to what is seen with adjacent base pairs
in nucleic acids.

Expectation bias, as well as having partial charges turned on during
refinement, might
influence the rotomeric state of examples from the PDB, so be careful of social
consensus.
With classical electostatics, N has a partial positive charge, and O has a
partial negative
charge.  (If you think about it, all pi-stacking interactions, from the point
of view of classical
electrostatics, would be somewhat repulsive.)

Good luck with this, and let us know of the outcome.

Bill

William G. Scott
Director, Program in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Professor, Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
and The Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
University of California at Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95064
USA

http://scottlab.ucsc.edu