Hi Graeme,

I suspect that this conclusions depends very closely on (i) the shape of
> the problem and (ii) the extent to which the binary has been optimised for
> the given platform.
>
> I do hope some of these info are analyzed and either published or at least
put at ccp4 wiki.

I am pretty sure that there are some applications (heavily threaded, making
> extensive use of vector operations) which would be massively quicker on
> 2018 hardware than something a decade old. Certainly though, if you are
> comparing a not-highly-optimised single threaded binary then your
> conclusion is probably a valid one
>
> I really request all the program developers (in the ccp4bb) to clearly
have a table in the website mentioning if certain program is purely GHz
dependent and not multi-threaded.

> Also how much power the machines take to get work done is a non-trivial
> factor…

But what about the environment? Trashing a decent machine from 2015 for the
latest threadripper2? These old maches have 80-90 + gold power supply. Many
(like Apple's planned obsolescence) are *forcibly* destroyed not
refurbished at all.

Does DIALS run that much quicker? How much time is saved for a phd student
in their career if data processing speeds up from 15 min to 10 min?
 Sure perfect for use @synchrotron but otherwise?

May the beamlines/synchrotons should allow for remote data processing and
even refinement. May be all program devs need to put benchmarks - will help
users greatly.

These days i have a feeling science copied the typical electron/website
framework programmers? Programs/website getting fatter not efficient and
hoping everyone has 128GB RAM.

Markus