Hi everyone,

this is Joerg Stetefeld.

I would like to approach the community in a peculiar case of
2-Methyl-2,4-pentanediol (MPD)

impacting our crystallisation experiments.

We are working on extracellular ligand-receptor complexes, which we
characterize in advance to crystallisation attempts very thoroughly
(SEC-MALS/AUC/MST/iSCAMS a.o.). It happens frequently that whenever MPD is part
of the setup the complexes are disrupted and just one of the molecules forms a
single crystals. Solving these structures shows always a very distinct,
spiral-like pore assembly of this respective molecule and the other binding
partner cannot be detected. Attempts to “find” and characterize the MPD binding
site(s) failed.

Remarkably, these phenomena can also be detected in solution and EM images are
indicating the same behavior.

Did anyone experience similar cases and how can this be avoided?

Your advise is appreciated.

js

Jörg Stetefeld, PhD
<https://stetefeldlab.ca/>