In coot, select.

Validate > Difference Map Peaks > Find Peaks Above 4 r.m.s.d > [Find Peaks]

What do you see?

Always remember, the real-space representation of your Rwork is the Fo-Fc map.
The biggest peak or valley in this map is usually dominating your Rwork/Rfree.
If you feel your Rwork/Rfree are too high, it is best to think of something
sensible to put into your biggest Fo-Fc peak.  If you have a big, negative
feature in the middle of nowhere, try adjusting your bulk solvent parameters in
refinement.

It is also a good idea to look at your data quality stats.  If I/sig(I) is 5,
then I wouldn't expect Rwork/Rfree to ever drop below ~20%.  This is because
the error in the data is already about 20%.  If your model fits better than
that, it is probably modelling noise.

If you have no difference features to speak of and your Rwork/Rfree are still
high, it can be a good thing to prune back your model to include only the atoms
you are really sure about.  That is, well-ordered main chain, and maybe a few
strong side chains like disulfides and obvious aromatics.  Refine this heavily
pruned-model to convergence.  Don't worry about the R factors being high, they
are supposed to be high when large parts of the model are missing.  By
"convergence" I mean until the atoms stop moving.  R factors leveling off is
not "convergence".  If your atoms are still wandering about and changing B
factors, then run the refinement one more time.  Wait for things to settle.
This is kind of like running a column, you want to wait until everything has
equilibrated before you inject something new.  This kind of equilibration is
the only way to know that the rise or fall in R you see is due to the change
you just made, as opposed to an after-effect of something you did a few dozen
cycles ago.  Once that is done, look at the top feature in your Fo-Fc
difference map.  This tallest peak is the least likely thing in your unit cell
to be wrong.  Build in this feature.  Then re-refine to convergence again.
This can take a while, but it is the best way to ensure that you avoid model
bias of any kind.  Building just one feature at a time is the most conservative
strategy.  If you're in more of a hurry, you might consider anything above 6
sigmas to be "safe", but 5 is pushing it, and 4 is dangerous unless there is
nothing else left in the map.

Happy Building!

-James Holton
MAD Scientist