Begin forwarded message:

From: "charles w carter, jr" <cwcar...@ad.unc.edu<mailto:cwcar...@ad.unc.edu>>
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Questionable Ligand Density: 6MO0, 6MO1, 6MO2
Date: July 19, 2019 at 1:32:53 PM EDT
To: Patrick Loll <pjl...@gmail.com<mailto:pjl...@gmail.com>>

Hi Pat,

I, too have fallen into this rabbit hole while Mark Rould and I were writing a
Methods in Enzymology chapter on Fobs - Fobs difference Fourier maps as a
vastly better tool for documenting ligands. Mark had documented a similar
offense, and I had previously also encountered one. Both cases occurred since
structure factor deposition was frequent and/or required, so it was relatively
trivial to do the definitive experiments. The density of outright fraudulent
results of this type in high profile journals long ago persuaded me that unless
someone pointed me to an especially salient article, that those journals did
not merit my attention, and I’ve several times refused to review manuscripts
for them, for much the same reason.

I was recently asked to teach a module on scientific fraud in a newly required
course on ethics for NIH Programmatic grants. It was both amusing and
rewarding, as the students readily understood many of these issues.

“Scholarly Publishing” is something best left to professional societies in my
(admittedly extreme) opinion.

Charlie

On Jul 19, 2019, at 1:17 PM, Patrick Loll