I have regularly been struck by how closely related proteins crystallize in
completely different conditions. Eg see Galina Obmolova and colleagues'
excellent paper (ref below).  A set of sixteen highly homologous Fabs were
crystallized in apparently random conditions.  Roughly half used PEG, half
high-salt conditions, salts used included sulfate (sic!), formate, citrate,
acetate, tartrate, chloride etc etc, while pHs ranged from 4.5 to 9.5.

I also once downloaded the entire PDB and looked for correlations between
the reported crystallization conditions and the (summed) areas of every
atom of every residue on the surface of the proteins.  I came up with . . .
hmm  . . absolutely nothing useful.

I conclude that we need to start with regular screening for pretty much
every new sample that we have - so an unbiased empirical approach is the
only good way to go.

Thx Patrick

Galina ref - Obmolova, G., et al. "Protein crystallization with microseed
matrix screening: application to human germline antibody Fabs." *Acta
Crystallographica Section F: Structural Biology Communications* 70.8
(2014): 1107-1115.