From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on behalf of Jorg Stetefeld
<jorg.stetef...@umanitoba.ca>
Sent: Sunday, September 8, 2019 6:01:49 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: [ccp4bb] Secrets of ZYMIT

Hi everyone,

this is Joerg Stetefeld.

I would like to approach the community in a peculiar case of a specific
proteolytic cleavage during crystallization attempts.

Performing several crystallization screens we figured out that ZYMIT
(https://www.ipcol.com/cleaners/zymit-low-foam) is the reason for a highly
specific, but undesireable cleavage of protein components in our setups. Most
remarkably, the cleavage site of our crystallisation target is not described in
any protease database, and is highly inaccessible.

According to a publication by Naschberger et al, 2014
(doi:10.1107/S2053230X14026053) the authors very nicely describe the
phenomenon. They also describe a very elegant protease removal protocol, which
works in our hands very well.

At this point, however, I would like to know what is “behind” ZYMIT?
Naschberger et al say “Zymit contains an unspecified‘protease enzyme’ as a
trade secret (http://www.ipcol.com/pdfs/Zymit_msds.pdf)”.

Does anyone has more insight into the secrets of ZYMIT? Our attempts to contact
several vendors here in Canada/ abroad failed and a further characterisation of
its nature would help us to understand this particular phenomenon of
proteolytic cleavage.

Thank you very much in advance- Your advise is appreciated.

js

Jörg Stetefeld

<https://stetefeldlab.ca/>
https://stetefeldlab.ca/<https://stetefeldlab.ca/>