Dear Julie and Mathew,

I feel advertisement on behalf of professional publishers is not
appropriate for the bulletin board. MDPI should pay for its advertisements,
rather than get them for free. (Being a for-profit firm, they should also
pay for, rather than invite editing, but this is of course personal). They
stand in direct competition with IUCr journals, which it should be in our
best interest to protect. We all profit from constant -rather than
occasional- scientific editing and the IUCr support to our community
(meetings, fellowships, awards).
I know it is not the first time such a call is posted in the bb and that it
is not for me to say what is appropriate or not but I will really miss
journals from our scientific societies the day they become extinct.
Best wishes,

Isabel

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 1:07 AM CCP4BB automatic digest system <
lists...@jiscmail.ac.uk> wrote:

> Date:    Wed, 20 Nov 2019 17:24:15 +0000
> From:    Julie Tucker <julie.tuc...@york.ac.uk>
> Subject: Off-topic (somewhat): Call for papers on structure-guided kinase
> drug discovery
>
> Dear colleagues,
>
> Mathew Martin and I would very much appreciate your contributions on the
> topic of "Recent Advances in Structure-Guided Kinase Drug Discovery" for a
> special issue of the International Journal of Molecular Sciences
> <http://www.mdpi.com/journal/ijms> (IJMS, ISSN 1422-0067, Current Impact
> Factor: 4.183). We encourage submission of both *original research articles
> and topical reviews* on all aspects of *structure-guided drug discovery
> targeting the phosphotransferase enzyme family*. We welcome accounts of
> your experiences of applying structure-guided methods of all types to the
> discovery and development of inhibitors of protein, lipid and small
> molecule kinases from bacteria to man. More information can be found here:
> https://www.mdpi.com/journal/ijms/special_issues/structure_guided_kinase.
>
> Due to its open access policy, the journal charges publication fees,
> however, please contact us directly for the chance to secure a discount on
> the usual fee. The deadline for submissions is nominally 20th April 2020,
> however, articles will be peer-reviewed and published on an ongoing basis.
>
> Our apologies to those of you with no interest in kinase drug discovery,
> and our heartfelt thanks to any of you who feel moved to contact us to
> discuss potential contributions. Please also feel free to pass this
> invitation on to any interested colleagues.
>
> Best wishes,
> Julie Tucker and Mathew Martin
> --
> Julie Tucker
> York Biomedical Research Institute
> Department of Biology and HYMS
> University of York
> Heslington
> YORK
> YO10 5DD
>
> Tel. 01904 328912
>

> Co-guest editor of "Recent Advances in Structure-Guided Kinase Drug
> Discovery
> <https://www.mdpi.com/journal/ijms/special_issues/structure_guided_kinase
> >"
>
> A special issue of *International Journal of Molecular Sciences*
> <https://www.mdpi.com/journal/ijms> (IF 4.183) (ISSN 1422-0067).
>
> Email disclaimer
> <https://www.york.ac.uk/about/legal-statements/email-disclaimer/>

ICREA Res. Prof. Isabel Usón
Crystallographic Methods
Department of Structural Biology (“Maria de Maeztu” Unit of Excellence),
Molecular Biology Institute of Barcelona, Spanish Research Council;
Barcelona Science Park, Helix Building, 08028 Barcelona (Spain)
http://chango.ibmb.csic.es/ARCIMBOLDO