Dear Isabel,
I strongly support and **heartily thankyou** for your email below in support of
IUCr Journals. A wide range of readerships are covered, now also including
IUCrJ with its articles describing results aimed at highly diverse readerships
ie well beyond crystallography. I would also add that the open access fees or
journal subscription costs are the most competitive ie lowest available. The
small surpluses from the IUCr Journals that are made are ploughed back into the
journals further development or support for student conference bursaries and
community workshops. Contrast that with typically 40 % or more profits made by
the commercial publishers of research. It is not a given that our community
IUCr journals will simply just survive. We all need to take responsibility for
ensuring that they do.
Yours sincerely,
John
Emeritus Professor John R Helliwell DSc
Editor in Chief Acta Cryst and Chairman of the IUCr Journals Commission 1996 to
2005