Hi Katherine,

    One possibility could be that you have occupancy of 0.5 and that ligand
binding at one site in the crystal distorts a second site so it cannot bind
ligand.
Occupancy refinement is not always very stable.
If you are looking at two structures on top of one another - refinement needs
to be done carefully.
One thing I sometimes try is setting occupancy at various levels for the two
different conformations you have modelled, e.g. 0.2/0.8, 0.3/0.7, 0.4/0.6,
0.5/0.5, 0.6/0.4, 0.7/0.3, 0.8/0.2
Then check all maps carefully.

 Sometimes soaking a crystal can change space-group and you may need to
reprocess data in lower symmetry cells to check. If you have only one molecule
in asymmetric unit might be worth trying the three P21 cells
(with beta=90 degrees).

[However, if you have to use DMF (rather than DMSO) to get your ligand into
solution - I would ask your chemists to make/give you some more soluble
analogues. ]

  Ben Bax

Ben Bax

Reader in Structural Biology