I want to thank all those who were planning on attending the Diffraction Methods in Structural Biology Gordon Research Conference and Seminar which were to take place July 25-31 2020.  Those of you who registered will have already heard directly from the GRC administrators, who will reimburse your fees and provide a letter in case you have any trouble cancelling travel reservations.

I also want to espeically thank those who made donations.  Since my post on Feb 9 2020 asking the CCP4BB for support of women and underrepresented groups I was deeply moved by the response.  All told, 11 people reached into their own pockets to raise a total of $1550.  This is enough to completely cover all expenses of one bright young scientist who would have otherwise been financially unable to attend!  Assuming these donors opt to allow their contribution to carry over, I am taking off-list suggestions for who the CCP4BB-supported person should be in 2022.

In addition, five previous personal donations added up to $5850. Another $9590 was donated by companies: Merck, Rigaku, Gatan, Elsevier, and Polyvalan, who would have had their logos presented on the program.  I am very grateful for all the support, which I hope will still be there in 2022.

https://www.grc.org/diffraction-methods-in-structural-biology-conference/2020/

I will still be the Chair in 2022, and Janet in 2024. I will continue to work hard to keep the program up to date and relevant. A lot is going to happen between now and then.  I chose my "trillion dollar" GRC theme to inspire us to cast aside financial barriers on how we think about science and instead take on the intellectual and technological challenges that money can't solve.  I estimated 1 trillion dollars to be the approximate impact on humanity of a major disease, and therefore the funding potentially avilable to stop it, provided we had a solid plan.  To be honest, it has been surreal watching the news, seeing many trillions of dollars being directed to combat just one virus.

I hope that you all stay safe and healthy.  None of us are easily replaced, and there is a lot of work to do.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist