From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on behalf of Artem Evdokimov
<artem.evdoki...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 8:07 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Question about small molecule crystallography

Hi

A small organic molecule is typically crystallized from organic solvents (or
water, if soluble) by means of at least three main techniques:

1. slow evaporation of solvent leading to supersaturation and eventual
crystallization
2. supersaturation at higher temperature followed by gradual drop in
temperature causing crystallization
3. counter-diffusion of an incompatible solvent to drop solubility of the
substance and cause crystallization

Many times, just leaving an NMR tube with a tiny hole in the plastic cap for a
week or so will cause crystals to form.

Schnobviously, some substances will not crystallize easily - some form oils,
amorphous precipitates, etc. and others will form liquid hydrated forms or just
plain decompose. If you have any specific questions please don't hesitate to
contact me in person. I've spent half of my PhD crystallizing weird small
molecules for fun and profit.

As to how to solve structures of small molecules - any synchrotron is a massive
overkill. Just get in touch with a University X-ray lab, many of which still
have functional small molecule instruments. SHELX is the software of choice -
of course! (I still have the blue/white polka dot SHELX cup, it's one of my
more treasured curios).

Artem
- Cosmic Cats approve of this message

On Mon, Jun 1, 2020 at 6:01 PM Jiyuan Ke