Dear All,

just to add the perspective from the synchrotron side - these type of failures are actually extremely rare. Of course, this doesn't help if it is your crystals that have been thawed, but these stories should not dissuade you from shipping crystals. On MASSIF-1 at the ESRF all crystals are shipped - we have processed over 56,000 in the last 5 years and I have seen only one dewar failure on arrival. I think the advice sent already is very sensible - test the dewar before you send it off and make sure the pucks are tightly packed inside. No matter which courier you choose, or how many times you contact them to be careful, there are so many links in the chain that I shudder to think of what happens to our dewars during there travels - fortunately it is remarkable how robust they are.....

Best wishes, Matt.