Hello!

First, apologies if the scope of the question is beyond that of the listserv -
I was recommended this discussion page through a colleague.

I am incredibly new to refinement, and have been trying to employ the use of
Rietveld refinement to better determine the crystal structure of my lead
sulfide (PbS) quantum dots. Data was acquired as images on a home-built
tabletop time-resolved electron diffraction setup, and converted to
diffractogram through a combination of center finding and background
subtraction. However, since these are small (~ 5 nm), and we are certainly
sampling the ensemble average (as our focused beam is about 120 um in
diameter), our pattern is that of a polycrystalline sample.

From what I've encountered in my research, Rietveld is best suited for this
case. I have taken an initial structure as inferred from literature/the bulk
and refined that (relatively successfully to a Rwp value of ~2 - 6%). I do have
a few questions regarding this process as I believe I am not being as rigorous
as possible:

- is there a 'best practices' order of refinement operations? e.g. refine the
lattice parameters first, then peak profiles, etc.
- there is a single peak that is not matching (likely due to a slight deviation
in atomic positions from the expected simple cubic structure) - is refinement
capable of moving individual atoms or clusters of atoms to better match a
small, unaccounted for reflection?

For what it's worth, I have been using Reflex in Materials Studio; if there is
a more appropriate software for this application, I would be happy to hear!

If any additional clarification is need, I'll fill it in!

Best,
Kamil