Dear Kamil and Dimitris,

I wonder what kind of scattering factors are mentioned below programs using for Rietfveld refinement? Are these from IT for electron scattering?

Best,

Paulina

W dniu 12.11.2020 o 07:35, Dimitris Triandafillidis pisze:
Dear Kamil,

Since you have an initial model that is presumably close to what you expect to find in your sample, then Rietveld refinement is the right choice. In cases where no initial model is available, other types of refinement are suitable, such as Pawley or Le Bail, which refine lattice and peak shape parameters only.

Regarding the order in which parameters are introduced to a fit, a good starting point would be:
- lattice parameters and zero shift
- peak shape parameters and scale factor
- background terms
- atomic positions
Depending on the quality of your data and the nature of your sample, more parameters could be refined (i.e. atomic displacement parameters, preferred orientation, absorption etc.).

My suggestion would be to get a better understanding of the effect of each parameter to the fit, in order to troubleshoot your refinement more effectively. For example, peak positions depend on lattice parameters (and space group setting), therefore refining e.g. the scale factor would not help much if expected peak positions are in the wrong place. The following article might be helpful to you. McCusker, L.B., Von Dreele, R.B., Cox, D.E., Louër, D., Scardi, P., 1999. Rietveld refinement guidelines. Journal of Applied Crystallography 32, 36–50. https://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S0021889898009856

As for the single peak not being explained by the fit, it could be due to deviations in lattice parameters, but in that case more than one peak would not match. If every other peak fits nicely and only one does not, I would think that it is due to coexistance of a second, trace, crystalline phase in the sample. In most refinement software you have the option of excluding a peak from refinement. Refining atomic positions would not help, as these change the relative peak intensities, not peak positions. However, if you could share a few images of the fit, it would really help to better understand what's going on.

Finally, with regards to software, you could also try GSAS <https://subversion.xray.aps.anl.gov/trac/pyGSAS>. It is one of the most widely used software for powder diffraction and it is free. There is also a mailing list <https://mailman.aps.anl.gov/mailman/listinfo/gsas-ii>, consisting mainly of powder diffractionists, and a handful collection of tutorials <https://subversion.xray.aps.anl.gov/pyGSAS/trunk/help/Tutorials.html>.

Best wishes,
Dimitris