Dear Nika,

as a possible alternative or second opinion, you could have a look at
the ligand-detection modes [1] in BUSTER too - see e.g.

  https://www.globalphasing.com/buster/wiki/index.cgi?LigandDetectionModes

It's very similar to the Phenix Polder maps - so might not tell you
anything different, but looking at results from different
implementations can be useful as a check.

Anyway, one of the main problems handling partially occupied ligands
(and let's ignore the possibility of partial disorder for
"simplicity") is that you might have a mixture of three models within
your binding site: (1) compound, (2) waters (at ordered positions when
the ligand is not bound) and (3) bulk solvent (at disordered positions
when the ligand is not bound).

What can be useful is to include at least the alternative ordered
water model (from a well refined APO model?) and then refine the
(grouped) occupancies:

  OCC(compound) + OCC(waters) = 1.0

This way you give the refinement the option to chose between two
alternative interpretations [2]. To avoid any bias in that refinement
procedure, you could start from two extremes: once with
OCC(compound)=0.9 and once with 0.1. If the OCC(compound) refines to a
small value (say <0.2 or such) in both cases, it is possibly not really
there.

Cheers

Clemens

[1] Vonrhein, C. and Bricogne, G., 2005. Automated structure
    refinement for high‐throughput ligand detection with
    BUSTER‐TNT. Acta Crystallogr. Sect. A, 61, p.c248.
[2]
http://www.globalphasing.com/pipermail/buster-discuss/2015-August/000255.html