> setting occupancies of omitted atoms to zero has the danger of leaving a hole

Not quite. We probably need Garib to confirm this, but I tried this many times,
and if in refmac the occupancy is really zero (0.00), then this does not
happen, and the ligand is treated as not present. An occupancy of 0.02 however,
already suffices to have the solvent excluded and the fo component from the
solvent shows up nicely.

The effect is indeed dramatic, cf. Figure 2 (and F1 for more fun with the same
ligand)

https://febs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/febs.14320

Best, BR