Dear Dale,
Aren’t NMR spectroscopists, in contrast to us crystallographers, not in the
lucky situation though that they should have noticed the absence of terminal
residues during the assignment phase though? I.e. they would usually have peaks
for the protons of those residues in the 1D, TOCSY, COSY spectra, even though
NOEs may be absent.
I agree with you that other reasons than flexibility could cause absence of
NOE’s, although I think that for well-determined NMR ensembles in almost all
cases it is indeed flexibility / multiple conformations. If not enough
restraints have been input, you might get artificial “flexible” regions, and
obtaining more NOEs, secondary structure restraints, measuring orientational
restraints should shore these up.
(Assuming that in the previous assignent phase all protons peaks could be
properly assigned of course).
Mark

Mark J van Raaij
Dpto de Estructura de Macromoleculas