From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> on behalf of Palm, Gottfried
Sent: Sunday, March 6, 2022 4:10 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] ligand binds to one molecule

Dear all,
  I don't think, there is much to add to the statement of Bernhard or James
that different protomers in the asymmetric unit (must) have some difference in
there contacts and therefore often in their conformation. What it doesn't
answer is a chicken or the egg question:
do the different environments in the crystal allow or force different
conformations (e.g. open or closed loops) and/or different (active) site
occupancies or
do different states in an oligomer allow or force crystallization only in a
packing and space group with multiple states?
Latter could be due to an anti-cooperative binding to a dimer. We have seen
this in the dimeric Tet repressor: wt binds the ligand (a tetracycline) in each
monomer of the dimer with one chain in the asymmetric unit, but some of the
mutants bind only one ligand per dimer (confirmed by ITC, Biochimica et
Biophysica Acta, 2020). Despite the same packing, this forces reduction of
space group symmetry from I422 to P422 (omitting screws).
>From the crystal structures alone, I think, one cannot prove what comes first.
>From my gut feeling, in most cases multiple states in solution force multiple
>states in the crystal - in other words - I tend to say, multiple states in the
>crystal are "real" in the sense they also occur in solution. Does somebody
>want to comment on this?
Greetings
  Gottfried