Hi folks

Just my two ha’porth; if you go back to one of the first two structures
determined by protein crystallography, haemoglobin (horse?) has multiple oxygen
binding sites) which are potentially different (the binding of oxygen ion one
affects the binding in the other - “allostery”). I’m not sure if the two sites
are distinguishable in any 3D structures, but the possiblility would be there.
No doubt experts on this BB would be able to expand on this or tell me that I’m
wrong…

My answer to the OP would be along the lines of “I wouldn’t be surprised by
this at all”...

Harry