On 17/03/2022 17:37, Mohd Syed Ahangar wrote:

I have been doing some protein crystal soaking with some covalently binding fragments and in one structure I have got an extra density on Cysteine but that density doesn't match with the expected fragment. The fragment was in the form of iodide salt. when I fit the Iodine in the density, it fitted fairly well than any other possible chemical entity. From the density map it looks like something is covalently bound to Cysteine. Now my question is, can a sulphur atom of Cysteine have such an interaction with Iodine.

No, they are both electronegative, C-S-I is not a thing.

The distance between S and Iodine is 2.76A in this case as shown in the attached figure.
I would be grateful if someone can shed some light on this.

Your map (this figure) is a textbook example of a covalently linked atom incorrectly refined with a non-bonded contact.

Paul.