Hi, from the FFT documentation:

<https://www.ccp4.ac.uk/html/fft.html#axis-fast-medium-slow>

*In general DO NOT change the axis order unless you are in P1 or are very
sure you know what you are doing! This is permitted if your map is being
calculated using the routines for P1 or P222, but not otherwise.*

Note that many of the FFT space-group specific routines have FIXED axis
orders. In general these are Y,X,Z for those which have rotation axes along
c, and are best output with z-sections (all space-groups with space-group
number greater than 18 (P21212)).

For P1, the monoclinic space-groups, and space-groups 16 (P 2 2 2), 17 (P 2
2 21) and 18 (P 21 21 2), the required axis order is Z,X,Y, which gives
y-sections.

If this keyword is left out (the recommended procedure), and the map is
calculated in FFT space-group P1 (the FFTBIG default) then the standard
order for TRUE space-group is used, *i.e.* Z,X,Y for P1, the monoclinic
space-groups, and space-groups 16, 17 and 18; for all higher symmetry
space-groups the standard axis ordering will be Y,X,Z.

Otherwise, note that any axis permutation must make sense in the
space-group used for the FFT, *e.g.* the P21 FFT (sg4) always generates a
21 axis along the section axis, through the origin. Axis permutation is
only permitted in a few space-groups and should probably by cyclic: 1, 2,
19, 21, 23, 47. In space-group 19, only cyclic permutations are valid,
*i.e.* Y,X,Z (default); Z,Y,X; or X,Z,Y; others will give WRONG ANSWERS.

Cheers

-- Ian