Dear James,
This is coming closer to your concept:-
https://www.cos.io/initiatives/registered-reports?_ga=2.256611083.1499354793.1646731928-1289064925.1646731928
which I learned about in the current issue of Research Professional:-
https://research.jiscinvolve.org/wp/2022/03/08/octopus-jisc-and-ukrn-working-together-to-create-a-new-primary-research-record-for-science/
Neither of which seem to involve funders however.
No reply as yet to my direct message @HelliwellJohn to @asapbio
Greetings,
John

Emeritus Professor John R Helliwell DSc