From: CCP4 bulletin board <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK> On Behalf Of Ian Tickle
Sent: 06 November 2022 20:43
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Another folding AI

Hi Colin

That seems to be a fundamental misinterpretation of what Maxwell actually said
(and being half Scot myself I feel obliged to defend him!).  To add one more
quote to the mix, that of Charles Petzold in his review of the historical
evidence for the claim of the creationists:

Abstract: Modern-day Christian creationists have claimed nineteenth-century
Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell as one of their own. The author explores
the historical evidence and discovers that Maxwell's attitude toward evolution
was more nuanced than people assume. The characterization of Maxwell as an
anti-Darwin creationist is based on exaggerations, misinterpretations, and
(probably most of all) wishful thinking.

https://www.charlespetzold.com/etc/MaxwellMoleculesAndEvolution.html

Cheers

-- Ian

On Sun, 6 Nov 2022 at 20:13, Nave, Colin (DLSLtd,RAL,LSCI)
<000064fdcfc6624b-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk<mailto:000064fdcfc6624b-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk>>
 wrote:
All these quotes are great fun and worth keeping in mind, along with many
others. I hadn’t realised that the creationists had adopted James Clark Maxwell
as one of their own. However he didn’t go as far as one present day scientist
who believes the earth is no more than 10,000 years old. Which discipline?
Palaeontology of course. This person is not even some old fossil.

I always liked George Box’s comments about models. I remember Eleanor Dodson
saying, probably at some CCP4 refinement study weekend, that a structure
obtained by protein crystallography was like a curate’s egg. She might have
predated George Box with this thought.

There should not  be any doubt that AF2 models are useful though. The question
is how far their usefulness extends.