Hi Gyuhyeok and everyone,

Thank you. We developed Careless to  support scaling and merging of data from a
wide range of diffraction experiments, including Laue, XFEL,
time-resolved/serial, etc. Nice to hear that your electron density maps look
promising. This is new software and we will continue to learn from all user
feedback!

In Careless, the observations are scaled using the assumption that overall the
amplitudes of the corresponding structure factors follow the Wilson
distribution (see, for example,
https://www-structmed.cimr.cam.ac.uk/Course/Statistics/statistics.html). By
default, this means that the average structure factor amplitude does not fall
off with resolution (a global B = 0). In this sense, the Careless output is
normalized, as Kay observed. (there is a subtle difference with 'official'
normalized structure factors, as described, for example, in section 7.10 of
Rupp's textbook, Biomolecular Crystallography).

Real data, of course, show a decrease in diffraction intensity with
resolution-something that usually gets worse with radiation dose. Scaling
algorithms attempt to correct integrated intensities to all follow the same
scaling behavior, for example matching the first frame. In Careless, you can
specify an expected overall B factor by adding a flag, for example

--wilson-prior-b 17.0

specifies the expectation of an overall B factor of 17 A^2, rather than 0. It
should make Xtriage's error go away.

So far, we have found that the default typically works just fine for molecular
replacement and structure refinement. We have also successfully used Careless
output for phasing with SHELX* and Phaser.

The PDB is aware of Careless and you can specify it as the scaling program
used. Please let us know if you encounter any difficulties with deposition.

As a reminder, Careless is free, open-source software. We encourage everyone to
file "issues", including bugs and feature requests, on the GitHub repo. If
you'd like to extend the capabilities of Careless for your own purposes, you
can do so yourself too!

Code & Installation instructions: https://github.com/rs-station/careless

Usage examples: https://github.com/rs-station/careless-examples

Publication: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-35280-8

-- Doeke

Dear all,

I recently tested a novel merging tool for crystallography data called Careless
(https://github.com/rs-station/careless).

When I used it on our 2.6 A-resolution structure in the I23 space group with a
lipid bound structure, I noticed that the electron density surrounding the acyl
chain was significantly improved.

However, I am concerned about the Wilson B-factor. The Phenix.table_one tool
reports that the Wilson B-factor of the merged mtz file is -0.91.
Phenix.Xtriage warns that a negative Wilson B-factor can be an indication of
unusual pathology or artificial manipulation.

Has anyone else encountered similar conditions? Are there any circumstances in
which a negative Wilson B-factor can be rationalized?

Thank you,
Gyuhyeok

P.S. Here is the part of the output of Phenix.table_one.

Wavelength
1.0000
Resolution range
37.98 - 2.60
(2.69 - 2.60)
Space group
I 2 3
Unit cell
161.128 161.128 161.128
90 90 90
Total reflections
886846 (79364)
Unique reflections
21520 (2135)
Multiplicity
41.2 (37.2)
Completeness (%)
99.95 (100.00)
Mean I/sigma(I)

14.2 (0.8)
Wilson B-factor
-0.91
R-merge
0.240 (4.566)
R-meas
0.243 (4.629)
R-pim
0.038 (0.757)
CC1/2
0.998 (0.362)
CC*
0.999 (0.729)

PhD student

Department of Chemistry

Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (GIST)
123 Cheomdangwagi-ro, Buk-gu, Gwangju, 61005

Republic of Korea

Tel. +82 62-715-4633

e-mail: [log in to
unmask]<https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/wa-jisc.exe?LOGON=A3%3Dind2301%26L%3DCCP4BB%26E%3Dbase64%26P%3D6895021%26B%3D---%253DPart.a316.e6cfa70efc5cf13a.1858627e0e0.e78daba8b74bda93%253D-%26T%3Dtext%252Fhtml%3B%2520charset%3DUTF-8%26pending%3D>

[cid:image002.jpg@01D92396.2A1F4820]