Very sad news to me indeed. Alexei is a great scientist from whom I have leant a lot. There are so many cherishing memories of working with him.

May his soul rest in peace.

Fei

On 2023-03-26 19:29, Eugene Krissinel - STFC UKRI wrote:
Dear All,

 It is with a great sadness that I share with you that Alexey Vagin
passed away this Saturday in the Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford after
suffering from a heart attack with subsequent complications. He was 78
years old.

 Alexey made many developments in methods and software for
macromolecular crystallography, to which he devoted his whole life. He
is known for his BLANC Suite for structure solution done at the Moscow
Institute of Crystallography in the 1980s, as well as for his
contributions to Refmac and Monomer Library. Many thousands of
researchers have benefited from his work on Molrep and Balbes software
for Molecular Replacement. After his retirement in 2010, Alexey
developed and actively maintained the MorDA software for MR, which
became a monument to his efforts.

 Alexey's work will continue to serve generations of researchers
through his contributions to CCP4, where we will take the best care of
his distinguished legacy.

 With sympathy to everyone who knew Alexey personally and for whom
this is very sad news,

 Eugene

--
Dr. Fei Long