Everyone should bear in mind the following when considering the presence of
an ionizable anion at a protein binding site:

   1. The ionizable ion will exist in solution in a equilibrium
   distribution of ionization states, depending on the solution pH, and will
   exchange between them rapidly
   2. The effective pH of the solution, as well as the pKa values of the
   ionizable ion and its hydrogen bonding partners may differ
   significantly from that at 25C in a cryoprotected solution which may
   contain a high fraction of non-aqueous components.
   3. The ionization state of the bound ion may differ from the predominant
   solution species at the effective pH depending on the hydrogen bonding
   environment in the binding site.
   4. The hydrogen bonding of the ionizable ion can often only be inferred
   from plausible interactions with potential hydrogen bonding partners on the
   protein.

An anomalous map can help determine if there is a particular heavy atom
present, but ambiguities may still remain, especially if the binding site
is weak and there is not a well-defined orientation for the ionizable
anion. I've seen well-defined bicarbonate ions where it is relatively
straightforward to infer hydrogen bonding interactions and poorly resolved
blobs that are likely loosely bound sulfate or phosphate.

Cheers,

Roger Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor, Emeritus
Colgate University
Department of Chemistry