I received the $19 composite video to HDMI converter that I ordered from
Amazon, tested it a bit with my Apple //c, and posted pictures of the results
here:

    http://www.nf6x.net/2015/06/cheap-hdmi-converter-with-apple-c/

Text modes worked pretty well, but graphic modes had a lot of colored fringes
and distortion. I've only ever used Apple II series machines with monochrome
displays, so I don't know how much better or worse the original analog CRT
displays of the day might have performed. Do the Apple II experts have any
feedback to share?

I'm also working on getting design details from Silicon Labs for one of their
inexpensive single-chip TV tuners under NDA. If the Crazy Cat Lady project
moves forward, that chip might come in handy. If I use that chip, I'll need to
consider whether the NDA terms would preclude me from sharing my own IP that
uses the chip, since I'd prefer to share my schematic and firmware. But if the
NDA would disallow that, then I'd either need to close part or all of my
design, or pick out a different tuner option.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <n...@nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/