Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:

On 12/06/2015 02:57 PM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
Hi,

I've built a Harddisk-Controller-Emulator for my system which accesses
a IDE (PATA) harddisk with an ATMega in PIO mode. It works like a charm
except for one WD harddisk. The harddisk itself works fine with MS-DOS
6.22 and FreeBSD but refuses to work with my ATMega.

On reading or writing a sector, right after the command is issued, the
error bit is set in the status register, and the error register indicates
an ABRT.

I don't have any specific knowledge of this, but it has to be a timing problem. Something about the timing of the command signals is just different enough that the drive thinks this is wrong. Sorry I can't give more specific help.

Thought the same and added some 400ns sleeps between each of the cylinder,
sector, head commands and before I executed the read command... without
success :(