On Thu, 20 Oct 2016, Mike Stein wrote:

I've got several ST251-1s that spin up just fine, no funny noises, but then do 
a bunch of back-and-forth seeks and shut down again.

It's the usual, "they worked fine the last time;" any ideas what the problem is 
and if there's anything that can be done? Presumably it's having trouble finding the sync 
track; weak signal? Any ideas?

m
I'm actually trying to bring an ST251-1 back to life right now. It worked, then was intermitently not recongnized by the controller after being powered on for a while, now not recognized at all. When you apply power it runs through whatever standard head-sweep routine (self-test?), but there seems to be a communication breakdown between the Drive electronics and controller board.

Various sources on the interwebs suggest me that the small SMD tant caps by the power connector are a known issue on these drives and can lead to all sorts of flaky behavior.

I've orderd a few from digikey, hopefully will have them by this weekend to attempt a repair.

See my forum post here, where my shoot-in-the dark analsys is disagreed with: http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?54516-Caps-for-an-ST251-1:

--Jason

Reply via email to