On 17.02.2017 17:21, Kyle Owen wrote:
On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Philipp Hachtmann <hac...@hachti.de>

KiCad has no affiliation to Arduino; in fact, it's being heavily maintained
by CERN.
But wherever I (!) look, in my part of the universe, a strongly biased and personal view, I see only those Arduino folks using it.
Might be different in other places, but...

With the licensing model Eagle has just moved
to, alternatives like KiCad sure seem attractive.
The new Eagle license model is a mess. I will stick to my Eagle 7. The idea of my little board designs being held hostage by a company somewhere is not good. And when the day has come that I can't go with the then old Eagle anymore and the licensing has not been repaired, then I will think about alternatives. Perhaps then KiCAD has already changed into the greatest EDA tool ever made.

Why are you bent out of shape over the Arduino community? It seems clear to
me that teenagers growing up with them will outgrow the language and
hardware limitations and move onto more advanced things before starting
their careers. I think one could make a decent analogy to BASIC on many
8-bit microcomputers from decades past.

Easy: If I had the impression that it is like you write, I'd be totally fine with it! But back in those days with BASIC it was easier to take the next step. If you want to go further beyond Arduino, you will have to instantly understand a huge amount of stuff. In my opinion the learning step from using a fancy Arduino library to understanding/modifying/writing another is too big.
In BASIC it started with little things like peek and poke.
There was no hidden C++ :-)