> On Jul 7, 2017, at 1:29 PM, Al Kossow via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>

> On 7/7/17 10:26 AM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:
>
>> I stopped beating that horse years ago.
>
> And I'm moving towards flux-level archiving and away from using
> stock tape transports.
>
> But then, I've been saying that for 15+ years now and haven't done it.

It would be great to have that capability, after the company that had it before
seemingly vanished.  Better yet if you can handle not just plain 7 and 9 track
1/2 inch tape but also other formats.  3/4 inch tape would come to mind
(DECtape and friends).  There's one inch tape (CDC 626) though I'm not sure if
any has been preserved.  There's 1/2 inch 10 track tape (Electrologica X1 and
others).

Stuff like error correction data makes sense for such low level capture.  It's
not so obvious if you're working with a conventional tape transport, which
simply tells you "read error, you're SOL" if the checksums are no good.