> On Aug 4, 2017, at 1:09 PM, Ulrich Tagge via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Jerry,
>> You’ve made pretty good progress.
> Yes with the right input and help this can happen. ;-)
> And all the help is much appreciated!

Glad to share.

>> If you haven’t already, Google for and look at the manual for the SQ739. I
>> think you will find that most of the
>> commands for the on-board diagnostics are the same.  The unibus controller
>> will have a
>> different layout and perhaps a physical vector switch, but you should be
>> able to sort out the differences.
>>
> Not done by now, but is now noted and on the plan for the weekend, I'm also
> interested to know about the jumper settings as there are some of them

Fortunately the vendor likely used the same firmware for several models and
across Q + Unibus.

> .
>>
>> What version of RT11 do you have?  The later versions would show the
>> CSR that the hander is set to.
> Its: RT-11SJ (S) V04.00I ... quite old.

Each different version of RT11 has its own charms.   In V4 the device handler
was no longer
bound directly to the OS Monitor.  No more compiling a new monitor for each new
device.

>> You mention a RC25.  Is that on another machine? If you have two MSCP
>> controllers in the same backplane (KLESI? + SU723) then that is more complex.
>>
>> My guidance below assumes the SU723 and a bootable RX02 device are
>> the only disks.  Do not follow if you have two MSCP controllers installed.
> That's the right assumption, I have two /84 one with lesi and working RC25
> where I have created the Floppy disks, and a playground mostly empty, but now
> equipped with SCSI and RX211.
>> The address 160340 is not what is normally expected “standard” CSR for a
>> MSCP.
>> Its is easy to change the handler address.
>>
>> First make a copy of the DU.SYS handler to preserve it.
>>
>>            copy/sys du.sys duorg.sys
> Done
>> The set the CSR that you are using
>>
>>            set du csr=160340
> Output:
> .SET DU CSR=17760340
> ?DU-W-Patch handler bootstrap, put CSR at 3264

As you may have already learned, use only 16bit addresses for this.

>> Try vector address 154 first, unless you know the board is configured
>> differently.
>> It appears already set for this, but here is how you change it.
>>
>>            set du vector=154
> Output:
> .SET DU VECTOR=154
>
> .
>> You should then be able to install and load the handler.
>>
>>             install du
> Output:
> .INSTALL DU
> .
>>             load du
> Output:
> .LOAD DU
>
>> Depending on the DU handler, it is possible to map a large MSCP image to
>> multiple
>> partitions.  If the handler installs, try the following.  It show a basic
>> mapping.
>> Single controller, single drive and in this case 8 partitions.   The first
>> partition
>> should be the same as below.  An RZ22 would normally only have space
>> sufficient for 1 partition.
>>
>>             show de:du
>>
>>             Device    Status                   CSR         Vector(s)
>>            ------         ------                       ---
>> ---------
>>              DU         Resident                172150   154
>>
>>                      DU0: is set PORT =  0, UNIT =  0, PART =  0
>>                      DU1: is set PORT =  0, UNIT =  0, PART =  1
>>                      DU2: is set PORT =  0, UNIT =  0, PART =  2
>>                      DU3: is set PORT =  0, UNIT =  0, PART =  3
>>                      DU4: is set PORT =  0, UNIT =  0, PART =  4
>>                      DU5: is set PORT =  0, UNIT =  0, PART =  5
>>                      DU6: is set PORT =  0, UNIT =  0, PART =  6
>>                      DU7: is set PORT =  0, UNIT =  0, PART =  7
> Output:
> .SHOW DE:DU
> ?KMON-F-Illegal command
> .SHOW DEV:DU
> ?KMON-F-Illegal command
>
> (RT11 Version to old?)

Yes, bummer but not a blocking gap.

> .SHOW DEV
>
> Device      Status       Vector
> -------------------------------
>  US      Not installed  410
>  DL      Not installed  160
>  RK      Not installed  220
>  DY      Resident       264
>  DX      Not installed  264
>  LP      146676         200 204
>  SC      143332         000
>  HC      Not installed  330 334
>  BS      Not installed  300 304
>  VW      Not installed  270 274
>  NL      Installed      000
>  LS      Installed      200 204
>  MS      Not installed  224
>  MM      Not installed  224
> *  DU      141440         154*
>
> So something happens and we have a first progress.
>
>> Since you already did a SCSI format from the controller or if the drive
>> was previously formatted, you will not need to repeat this. The RT11 FORMAT
>> command does NOT support this as an MSCP device.  Note: the handler can be
>> configured to more partitions and disk space than actually exist on the
>> drive.
>>
>> You can examine the contents of the drive to see if it readable.
>>
>>             dump/term du0:/end:1
> Dump is unfortunately not available on my disk by now, but will add them,
> when I have moved the RX02 back to the other PDP.

    DIR DU0:

will either give you
1) Invalid Directory - it can read the disk contetns
or
2) Directory Error - it cannot read the disk for any number of reasons.

>> If the handler loads but doesn’t access the drive, check the vector address
>> first.
>>
>> Once you are sure the contents are not needed, you can try an initialize.
>>

> Is it maybe better to start with a newer version of RT11?

V5.x RT11 versions greatly improved the MSCP device support.  Third party
packages also exist for DU handlers.  I have several
SCSI drives on a SQ739 and together you can manage an insane (for RT11) number
of disks and partitions (in the several GB range).

> In the meantime I have managed to test RX02 Imaging with Joeg Hoppe's
> PDP11GUI. Works perfect and looks like a great tool.
> If I load the MSCP driver via PDP11GUI and use address 160340 I can also dump
> the DU0 (RZ22) disk to my PC, so it seams to be working.

That sounds promising.  Once you initialize the RZ22 you should have plenty of
room to play around.

> I have not found a newer RX02 RT11 Distribution Set by now, do you have some
> tip were I can find and download one?  Google doesn't return any rx02 files,
> only ready to use images for RK/RL, ….

You may want to download the larger distribution from
http://www.classiccmp.org/PDP-11/RT-11 , use SIMH to re-package it to your
needs, then download to the target disk.  There may
be some RX02 images around with a minimum build, but finding a set with a full
distribution may be harder as they exceed the capacity of one floppy.

> Many thanks for your Support
> Ulrich

Glad to help.

Jerry