> On Aug 7, 2017, at 12:13 AM, Camiel Vanderhoeven
> <camiel.vanderhoe...@vmssoftware.com> wrote:
>
> That would have been the CPU cabinet for the C240 (which is twice as wide
> as the C220¹s CPU cabinet. The C240¹s CPU consumes - i.e. converts to heat
> - about 20 kilowatts of power, so that would indeed have created a hotspot
> in a computer room. It will surely create a hotspot in my barn!

Ok, that makes sense. All I remember is that from the rear side of the cabinet,
it was behind the exhaust vents at the lower right corner that was the optimal
place in the computer room to curl up in a fetal position at 6AM, when the main
building A/C came on and the computer room temperature plummeted, right about
when the metabolism of an exhausted college student working a graveyard
computer operator shift was at minimum. But it was all worth it for a key to
the computer room, and unlimited root access on Sun workstations when most
students were lucky to get a small quota on the heavily-loaded Sequent Symmetry
series machine. Oh, and they paid me, too. :)

That C240 also had the nicest 9-track drive in the room. Most of my tape mounts
were on the TU77 next to the VAX-11/780 (or maybe 785?), but I always liked
working with that drive on the C240. I no longer recall which company
manufactured its transport, but it was really fast.

> I¹m getting a C240 two weeks from now. Between the C220, the C240, and the
> two C1s, I hope to be able to  get at least one Convex up and running
> ConvexOS.

That is really cool, and it sounds like you have all of your barn heating needs
sorted out, too!

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <n...@nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/