On 08/09/2017 09:52 AM, Richard Cini via cctalk wrote:
> It's funny -- I didn't see the original reply from Bill to this
> message.
>
> I am aware of  the track differences and I thought Dos would format
> it but just slam the head for the last three tracks. No such luck. It
> actually complains about the disk from the beginning.
>
> The Qume 242 is a DSDD drive in case that was asked in the original
> thread, and should work in this situation.

I'll try again--it doesn't matter if the Qume 242 (I've got one) is a
DSDD drive if you're using SS media.  Peek inside the drive and you'll
see that there are *two* index sensors--one for single-sided and the
other for double-sided media.  Unless you've got a hole punch handy, you
can't format single-sided media to use both sides.

Okay, a DOS format is more than a simple IMD-type format, which does
little more than instruct the FDC to write a bunch of E5-filled sectors
and headers.

A DOS format also writes a boot sector, FAT and root directory.  If most
late versions of DOS don't see a valid boot sector, you'll get a
"General Failure" error.   If you use IMD to format the disk, use the
"Analyze" option to verify what you've got.

I hope I've been clear--lately, I tend to assume too much.

--Chuck