It seems that you are right, I start successfully the Memorex 102 with the PSU without flickering, this HDD uses the same voltages as the Mitsubishi M2894-63D 8" disk drive (24VDC - 5VDC).

It remains me to find out which components are faulty

http://www.zeltrax.com/classiccmp_forum/uts40/M2894-63_board01.jpg

http://www.zeltrax.com/classiccmp_forum/uts40/M2894-63_board02.jpg

I did not know this type of case for capacitors

http://www.zeltrax.com/classiccmp_forum/uts40/M2894-63_board03.jpg