On 8/12/17, 4:31 PM, "cctalk on behalf of Fred Cisin via cctalk"
<cctalk-boun...@classiccmp.org on behalf of cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

    On Sat, 12 Aug 2017, Richard Cini via cctalk wrote:

    >> I have four “non critical” disks from this system – says

    >> “Utilities”, “Norton Utilities”, “DOS SSSD” and “DOS

    >> DSDD” that I will image next and use Dave’s conversion tool to get

    >> them into the IMD format so I can view the contents.

   > Now that it is working this far, will IMD work directly?  Or is that still

   > hung up?

   >I'd like to know which format those are in.

   >Earlier SCP?

   >later MS-DOS?

   >Do you know the dates of the disks?

OK, so this is interesting. Since the CW was working using the test previously
described,

I tried imaging the non-critical disks. None would read successfully. So, I
moved

everything to the other machine with the better floppy controller and IMD
couldn’t

do much with them either using the “analyze” option. It read some tracks, but
not all,

and I got bored after about 30 tracks. They definitely are 512b sectors but the
gap

lengths were crazy (G1=210 and G2=255).

Either these disks have not successfully survived over time, or something else
is up.

The system associated with these use a Tarbell DD controller which is based on
the

WD1793 controller chip. I did take one of the Seattle disks and tried to read
it and

I got the same results. I also have Teledisk but the results are similar.

As far as the dates, only the Seattle-labeled disks have dates on them
(1979-1983). The

disks above just have handwritten labels with no details.

At this point I think I really need to get the controller working so maybe I
can use an

alternative method to backup the disks.

Rich