Great work, you have isolated the supply fault. Looks like it's not regulating,
but the fact that it starts at 5V tells me it actually is, at low current
drain. Are you *really really* sure the filtering caps are good *at rated
voltage* (we had a recent case of caps that tested perfect with my low voltage
tester but were duds at their rated voltage)? Bad caps would cause something
like this. If not I'd usually start to check the regulating power transistors.
Could be anything else of course, having the schematics would allow for a much
more intelligent conversation instead of blind speculation.
Marc

On Aug 18, 2017, at 10:25 AM, Dominique Carlier via cctalk