Adam – thanks for the research, can I assume that the other ads u found were
also CompuAdd clone ads?

CompuAdd is really interesting because it clearly predates the CAM meeting in
early 1989.  Here is a quote from the March 9, 1989, CAM minutes

“Gene Milligan pointed out that there is some standardization activity being
done by Conner and Miniscribe in the area of mechanical and electrical
characteristics of the AT controller interface (with specific application to
embedded AT controller interface disk drives)”

“Embedded AT Controller” in some form (even just “AT”) seems to be the term of
the industry prior to “IDE” and “ATA”

I have some fairly complete files on disk drive companies and from the limited
material I have it appears that neither Conner, nor MiniScribe, nor Quantum,
nor Imprimis used “IDE” in any form in their advertisements and product
literature until well after the CAM meeting.  Here are some examples:

YYY-MM   Company           Quote                     Source

1987-06      Conner               an embedded IBM PC/AT controller
       CP342 announcement Press Release

1988-02      Conner               designed to operate on an IBM PC AT
          CP3022 Product Spec

1989-03      Imprimis             A choice of industry-standard interfaces —
SCSI, ESDI, AT, ST506                      OEM Product Catalog

1989-04      CAM Com.         Definition - ATA (AT Attachment):
    ATA-1 rev 2

1989-09      Quantum           the new ProDrive products are available with
embedded SCSI or AT-Bus controllers.                     ProDrive 120-210
announcement PR

1989-10      Miniscribe         ST412, XT, AT, SCSI , or SCSI Macintosh
interface                     1989 Product Guide

1989-10      PrairieTek          DRIVE W ITH EMBEDDED AT OR XT CONTROLLER
              PT120 & PT240 data sheer

1989-11      Kalok                   Full SCSI, PC/AT or PS/2 interface
compatibility                     Octagon I Family

1990-07      Areal                    drives with the SCSI or AT interface

                                   EN article

Of course my files are not as complete as Porter’s so if this becomes important
I might have to visit the CHM and check them out.

The question becomes whose drives were CompuAdd using?  BTW if you scan two
pages on in the cited PC Magazine u will find CompuAdd offering add-on “HDDs”
for the “IBM-ATs” and “IBM-XTs”  from MiniScribe and Seagate - at that time
Seagate did not have an ATA (or IDE) drive so maybe CompuAdd’s drives weren’t
ATA as we now know it.

In any event this discussion started with an assertion that IDE preceded ATA
and so far the evidence suggests IDE was at best contemporaneous.

Tom