I'm about to acquire a couple of 1980s-vintage military surplus AN/UGC-137A
terminals (i.e., glass TTYs with some local message preparation and storage
capabilities) which have a bubble memory subsystem. They use plug-in cartridges
containing 256 kbytes of storage in the form of two Intel 7110 1 Mbit bubble
memory chips and their 7242 formatter/sense amplifiers.

One of the cartridges contains the one and only copy of the terminals'
firmware, which I believe they need to load up at each reboot. Naturally,
extracting the contents of that irreplaceable cartridge for archival, and
potential future emulation, is going to be a very high priority for me. I have
a few different approaches in mind for accomplishing that. One approach would
be to remove the two memory devices from the critical cartridge in order to
dump their contents in an independent bubble memory subsystem.

With that in mind, I'd like to get my hands on a working Intel 7110 bubble
memory subsystem, or the parts to build one myself (i.e., a complete
7110/7220/7230/7242/7250/7254 chipset that I could make a board around).

Might anybody here have what I need available for sale or trade? I might be
able to use some arbitrary old computer or other device that has a subsystem
based around the Intel 7110, or a development kit such as the Intel BPK-72, or
a chipset to make my own board.

If I can't acquire or make the hardware to dump the memory chips outside of
their native system, then I think my next option would be to passively snoop
the host bus interface of the Intel 7220 controller I expect to find inside the
terminals as they perform their initial firmware load, so that I can
reconstruct the cartridge contents from the trace data.

The terminals were made by the Librascope division of Singer, and brochures can
be found here:

http://www.librascopememories.com/Librascope_Memories/Product_Literature_files/Communications%20Terminal.pdf

http://www.librascopememories.com/Librascope_Memories/Product_Literature_files/SST.pdf

http://www.librascopememories.com/Librascope_Memories/Product_Literature_files/Bubble%20Memory%20Cartridge.pdf

I already have the critical cartridge in hand, and I posted some pictures of it
on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/nf6x/status/964578291767173120

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <n...@nf6x.net>