Some of the code is now on bitsavers..

Dave

From: Eric Smith <space...@gmail.com>
Sent: 12 March 2018 14:41
To: Dave Wade <dave.g4...@gmail.com>; General Discussion: On-Topic and
Off-Topic Posts <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
Cc: Lars Brinkhoff <l...@nocrew.org>
Subject: Re: XT/370 microcode

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018, 05:13 Dave Wade via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org
<mailto:cctalk@classiccmp.org> > wrote:

. Wikipedia says there were/are
2x68000 CPU's..

One Motorola chip was the custom one, the other was normal (as indicated by
mask code). There was also an Intel math co, presumably derived from 8087.

I used to have an AT/370, which had the same chipset, but I was never able to
obtain the software.

I very strongly suspect the modified 68000 and 8087 have more than just
microcode differences, and that full reverse-engineering of the die would be
necessary to accomplish anything useful with the microcode. Neither chip was
designed to be a general-purpose microcode engine; both were very heavily
tailored for their exact visible architecture, and 370 architecture is enough
different that it couldn't be implemented by microcode only changes with no
data path changes; the microcode ROMs and PLAs just aren't big enough to work
around the data path issues.