On 11/19/18 12:18 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 11:41 AM Alan Perry via cctech <cct...@classiccmp.org <mailto:cct...@classiccmp.org>> wrote:

    I recently picked up a Rainbow 100. The PVA between the safety
    glass and the CRT on VR201 that came with it has broken down and
    failed badly.

    I have seen videos and read about removing the safety glass,
    cleaning out the PVA, and reattaching and resealing the safety glass.

    All that I have seen basically sticks the safety glass on at its
    edges and leaves a void where the PVA had been. It seems to me
    that the PVA was providing some implosion protection. Would it
    work to replace the PVA and attach the safety glass to the tube
    with an optically clear adhesive sheet? I have seen that this
    exists, but have never used it before.

    Also, I have never worked on a CRT before. I am trying to find a
    local person who can observe me and stop me from doing something
    stupid. If I can’t find someone, what am I more likely to do
    wrong? How can I be sure I discharged it before touching it?

I have a VR201 that's like this myself, and I've been too scared to try to fix it. Instead, I've tried bodging together various hacks to try to get the signal into a modern composite to VGA converter...

    Finally, a VR201 specific question. I booted the Rainbow over the
    weekend and, looking through broken-down PVA, I could see the
    Rainbow has booted and I could enter DOS commands. I could also
    see white retrace lines. What is the likely cause of that on a
    35-year-old CRT?

Pics?

Here is an attempt to use Facebook for image hosting here. If it doesn't work, I will put the image up on a real image hosting site.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/46508514_10156808244977208_2306314600917762048_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.xx&oh=81c3e1ded7cb1eb6b9d1200a604d9889&oe=5C7778F1

alan

Warner